Nov 15, 2007

The Pillars of the Earth Does Not Need Oprah

Undoubtedly The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet is a great book but it surely doesn't need Oprah Winfrey's review. Maybe the author disagrees with me as there is a gargantuan amount of money already flowing in his pocket direction, again. I enjoyed the reading, not because it is long, not because of the many characters living and dying throughout the book, not because of the encyclopedic content about cathedrals and the historic background. It simply reminded me of Count of Monte Cristo, Les Miserables, The Three Musketeers, and a whole bunch of adventure or romantic books I have not read in a long time and I wouldn't read again if it weren't for Ken Follet's "new" approach to the genre. Winfrey's 60th selection for her book club is a good choice, but literature and talk shows are a gross combination.